Sunday, December 05, 2004

The Spirit Of The Season...

Yesturday I had the privelege of being involved with a party hosted by our church for women and children who have been abused by spouse and father. There is an organization called Alice Housing which provides homes for these women throughout the city. Our church has been involved for the last 12 years in a variety of ways. Building playgrounds for the houses, providing clothing, and each christmas hosting a party at which each mom and child gets a "want and need" gift. They are served a meal the likes of which I have never seen and all of the youth group kids entertain the children which gives the moms a much needed break.
To say I was moved would be a huge understatement. Even putting the gifts under the tree while they were all at bowling gave me a lump in my throat. The anticipation was killing me. When it came time for the gifts I was a little anxious about how my kids would react to not getting called up by Santa but they did just fine and I think they actually understood that these kids don't even have the simple life that we have. Especially Daniel who we were able to explain things a little more graphically for, seemed to really revel in the joy on the faces of these children as they opened things like "pink sneakers", things that we would buy just because we wanted them.
Anyway, I think our whole family has been reminded of the true spirit of christmas, the spirit of hope and giving of ourselves. I only hope that it is a spirit which we will be able to exemplify all year.

4 comments:

Lori said...

Amen. That is what it's all about.

Margie said...

I am so excited about that! It totally gave me the warm fuzzies!!!

Cori said...

Your web site and pictures are beautiful and whenever I need to feel in the spirit of things i'm hopping on over to your site.Great job!

Anonymous said...

I am such a lonely blog. My owner does not love me! I need a little action..... I am looking for more comments.... to the point, my own will go crazy and make a comment!

Blog seeking MF, mother, with the name: Alison!