Sunday, December 11, 2005

And in the Midst of Joy, Tragedy!

Yesturday, while we were enjoying the snow, the youth group girls were here baking cookies for people in our congregation, and many others were going about the business of the season, a young man from our church was killed in a car accident on one of our busiest highways. He leaves behind a wife and five children. The youngest only three weeks old. They had come to Canada only a few short years ago, the language still very much a barrier for his wife. He had been working as a custodian until last month when there was not enough work for him. The family has very little, and now are even worse off.
Hudson will go this afternoon to be with the oldest boy who is not speaking to anyone. The pain is unimaginable. The fear probably equals the pain.
This puts a whole new perspective on life, how we spend time with each other, and what we choose to make important in our lives. My prayer is that I no longer take for granted the moments with my children and Hudson. That I never assume that I will have a tomorrow. I need to make the best of every moment I am blessed with.

**update** Hud just called as he was leaving their home. Since she was told of Mathias' death, his wife has not spoken to her children. She nurses the babe when he is hungry, but her grief is so intense that she can't cope. She has not left her bed since last evening. All of their Sudanese friends are at the apartment. There is some talk of her wanting to return to her home. Simon was in his room with his sister surounded by his friends but there are two younger ones as well who have not only lost their father, but for the time being are without their mother as well. Pray that she is able to find comfort in her children. That her pain would be alleviated enough that she can nurture her children through this as well.

8 comments:

Lori said...

Dreadful.

Jodi said...

Wow! That is absolutely horrible. Does she have any kind of support system to fall back on. I imagine the next year or so is going to be very very difficult for her and her children. If there is anything we can do to help, don't hesitate to ask. Really!

Perri said...

I am so sorry to hear of this horrible tragedy. I wil certainly be prayig for the family.

Jamie Dawn said...

My heart is aching for them. God be with them and give her the strength she needs to help her children.

Anonymous said...

It is so tragic. My thoughts and prayers are with them.

Connie

Beanhead said...

I will be keeping them in my prayers. I can't imagine the pain they must be feeling right now, my heart aches for them.

Cori said...

So sad. I will keep them in my thoughts and pray that the mom can get throught his for her children.

Shelley said...

This is awful Alison, I didn't even hear about it until I was speaking with you at the concert last night. So busy with work and everything I haven't even read the paper or watched the news. My heart goes out to his family.