Wednesday, December 28, 2005

And we thought we lived in a safe neighborhood!!!

This morning police found the body of a woman in her 30's in the trunk of a car in the school parking lot. Rumour has it that it is actually a teacher from the school. Her family reported her missing last night. Helicopters have been flying very low over our home the last hour or so, not quite sure what they are looking for, but we are all thinking it must be related.

It's sad that we all have this false sense of security; nothing can hurt us in this safe family oriented neighborhood. How do we go about explaining this to our children who return to school next week?

~update~ Sadly the rumours are true. The woman found was in fact Paula Gallant, a grade three teacher at Daniel's school. She was the mother of an 18 month old. They even interviewed one of her students on the news this evening. She will be missed deeply. Grief counselling will be available to the students on their return to school next week.

The helicopters were in fact related, taking pictures of the neighborhood.

9 comments:

Shelley said...

Alison. I heard about this on the radio and I am just in shock. You are right, our neighbourhood may not be as safe as I thought it was. Here I thought I was going overboard telling the kids to be careful but this is just dreadful. Will talk to you soon...I'm at work right now. If you hear anything else can you let me know...I am at work but Dale is at home. He said he heard the helecoptors as well and thought the police were looking for drugs or something; he's been watching movies with the kids and didn't even know when I called. Just dreadful. Huggs...

Lori said...

In this day and age no one is truly safe anymore. It really is sad that we no longer can have a sense of security in our own homes and communities.
Praying for the families surrounding the woman. What an unfortunate turn of events.

Perri said...

I'll be praying for her family and the entire community. It will be a hard thing for little kids to deal with next week.

Evey said...

What a horrible tragedy. It is so true though that safety is not really what it used to be. You never know. My prayers go out to this womens family as well.

Jamie Dawn said...

How awful! I hope it was not a random killing. Usually people are murdered by people they know.
Random murderers make me more nervous since there is no reason for what they do. Either way, it is a horrible thing.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear of such a tradgedy. I am just not sure there is a completely safe place in the world. Life seems to be taken so easily these days without a thought...I hope they catch the person responsible.

Prayers to everyone associated with her and her family most of all.

Connie

Jodi said...

That is scary! What a horrible tragedy for her family.

Kyahgirl said...

That is just awful. I'm so sorry.

Family Of Five said...

Just makes me feel sick!! As a mother, I'm sure you can relate, I can't imagine 'leaving' my baby at such a young age. Her poor family!