Monday, October 16, 2006

10 years....

My former youth pastor died ten years ago today. He was a man who along with his family, impacted me more than any other person I know. He was caring but firm, fun and encouraging, and I can honestly say that he saved my life!

We gave Daniel his name for his middle name, and I remember the day they met each other, Daniel just weeks old, and Bruce frail, only weeks away from death. It is a day that Daniel will never remember but we look back on with happy hearts. He has a picture of Bruce holding him on his bureau, and knows how important Bruce was.

It is hard to believe that it has been ten years, as it seems only a short time ago we got the call. I still think of him and often question what he might say in certain situations. I only hope that we can be as much as he was to me to someone else.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too have been startled at how fast time goes by. It's interesting how certain influential people can stick with you. I am sorry for your loss, even though it was (what seems like) a long time ago.

Beanhead said...

wow I sure hope that I have that much importance in someone's life someday. Thank you for sharing this with us.

Margie said...

I am truely amazed that it has been ten yers! I still remember when you called to tell me. The shock and disbelief... yet knowing this day was coming...

I remember clearly the last time I saw Bruce. I went to his house and chatted with him and his wife. A neighbor came and brought him Bran muffins...

He laughed and laughed saying he had lived in the neighborhood for so many years and little of what he did made the neighbors talk, and yet when his bowels get stopped up (from all the meds he was on)the whole neighborhood finds out.

Even as he was frail and heading down the final leg of life, he had a smile, love and laughter for all around him.

I remember him as a wonderful man, Godly, loyal and full of love for his family. I am so thankful to have met him and had him part of my life.

I have over the past ten years and will continue to remember him and the amazing man he was. Thank you for helping me remember.

Matt said...

Hey Alison,

I remembered Oct. 15 on my personal blog, too. Bruce was tough, but he was great. I know that so much pain in my life would have been avoided had he been alive the last ten years. I miss him but I am grateful for the impact he had on us "Grace" brats.

Matt